Re: Quoted identifiers in queries in plpgsql functions.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Neal M(dot) Holtz" <nholtz(at)docuweb(dot)ca>
Cc: Masaru Sugawara <rk73(at)sea(dot)plala(dot)or(dot)jp>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quoted identifiers in queries in plpgsql functions.
Date: 2002-06-19 22:16:03
Lists: pgsql-general

"Neal M. Holtz" <nholtz(at)docuweb(dot)ca> writes:
> To maintain some compatibility with some non-Postgresql applications,
> we thought it would be useful to retain the spaces in the column
> names. And in fact, that works just fine in normal queries,
> but not from within function bodies.

Yeah, the plpgsql lexer has an extremely lame approach to handling
double-quoted identifiers (AFAICT, it just acts as though " is an
ordinary identifier character :-(). I have a todo item to fix that
someday, if no one gets around to it before I do. It should be
updated to use the same lexing rules the main SQL lexer does.