memory allocation ; postgresql-8.0

From: "Kavan, Dan (IMS)" <KavanD(at)imsweb(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: memory allocation ; postgresql-8.0
Date: 2005-05-06 18:28:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am reserving 2.1 GB of memory for postgres to use with SuSE linux 9.0
(SLES) in sysctl.conf.
I have configured postgres to use 1.9 GB of memory so it won't go over
the 2.1 cap (postgresql.conf).
I have a total of 4GB of memory. Somewhere I read to keep half of the
memory for other things. This server is dedicated to postgresql. Does
anyone agree with just using 2GB? Does anyone know where I might have
read that?

Thanks,
Dj