Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Make heap TID a tiebreaker nbtree index column.
Date: 2019-03-24 20:47:33
Lists: pgsql-committers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 11:02 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think I can probably get that done today, but if you don't want to
>> wait, feel free to put in the detail-suppression for now.

> I'll monitor the situation, and proceed with a stopgap
> detail-suppression fix this evening if, for whatever reason, it seems
> necessary.

It turns out we can't use the ObjectAddresses infrastructure because
it doesn't store enough information. So that means an extra qsort
comparator function, which is slightly annoying, but it's still not
a huge amount of code.

This flips one expected result to another order from what it was.
(I experimented with OID-descending sort, but that flips two
other expected results.)

If no objections, I'll push shortly.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
stabilize-drop-role-output-too.patch text/x-diff 6.9 KB