Re: Updating a table which is null doesn't work?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql general list)
Subject: Re: Updating a table which is null doesn't work?
Date: 2003-05-02 03:51:43
Lists: pgsql-general

nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com writes:
> It appears to be necessary to set the array to some non-null value
> before it is possible to update any element in it.

Correct. If you'd like to propose and implement a different behavior,
let's hear it.

I'm not necessarily averse to the idea, but we need a well-thought-out
definition as to why a null array should combine with a non-null
inserted element to yield a non-null result. Most operations in SQL
generate a null if either input is null.