Re: Faster way of upgrading postgresql to 10 from 9.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Debraj Manna <subharaj(dot)manna(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Alvaro Aguayo Garcia-Rada <aaguayo(at)opensysperu(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster way of upgrading postgresql to 10 from 9.5
Date: 2017-11-25 15:19:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Debraj Manna <subharaj(dot)manna(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Is this time expected? I mean 17 minutes for 490 GB. I could not find any
> benchmark for pg_upgrade.

It seems awfully slow, if you're using -k. That switch should remove any
dependency on the data size, but what remains is the number of SQL objects
(databases, tables, functions, etc). If you've got tens or hundreds of
thousands of those, maybe this would be a reasonable time.

As Alvaro said, it's possible that you're hitting some fixable bottleneck;
but to identify what that is we'd need some profiling information.