Re: Unable to compile postgres 13.1 on Slackware current x64

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Condor <condor(at)stz-bg(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to compile postgres 13.1 on Slackware current x64
Date: 2020-11-16 18:27:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I wrote:
> A larger issue is that it looks like ICU68 may insist on importing
> <stdbool.h> in some headers. That's fine on the platforms where we
> use <stdbool.h> anyway, but it's distinctly not fine elsewhere.

Meh. I went to see if I could test that, and didn't get much further
than this on ICU's downloads page:

ICU4C Platform Support

All: Compiler support for C++11 is required for building the ICU libraries.
Some platforms (such as IBM AIX, IBM z and Solaris) may no longer be able to build ICU until an improved compiler is available.

AFAIK, the only platforms we have where <stdbool.h> isn't used are
PPC Mac, which of course was discontinued around 2008, so there's
zero chance that the compiler supports C++11. Barring somebody
finding evidence of a platform that can run ICU68 and is not using
<stdbool.h>, it's not worth spending time on this combination.

I think we should just s/TRUE/true/ and be done with it.