Re: initdb - segmentation fault

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bradley Brown <bradley(at)segrestfarms(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb - segmentation fault
Date: 2002-02-11 17:18:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Bradley Brown <bradley(at)segrestfarms(dot)com> writes:
> I am including the backtrace form the gdb on the core produced my
> initdb.

Drat. I was hoping for some symbolic information --- but it looks like
the RPMs you are using have been stripped of all debug symbols.

One possibility, though I never before heard of it causing a crash in
initdb, is that there's a known bug in strcoll() in some versions of
glibc, which does cause crashes during VACUUM ANALYZE if the right data
pattern crops up. I think that a never-updated copy of RHL 7.1 might
have the buggy version of strcoll(). Try updating to the latest glibc
available for RHL 7.1 and see if it helps.