Re: LOGIN/NOLOGIN in psql

From: Andreas Heiduk <asheiduk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOGIN/NOLOGIN in psql
Date: 2020-02-13 17:25:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

Am 13.02.20 um 15:55 schrieb David G. Johnston:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:53 AM PG Doc comments form
> <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org <mailto:noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-createrole.html
>
> Please add something like this to the LOGIN/NOLOGIN part:
>
> The `psql` commands `\du` and `\dg` show `Cannot login` for roles with
> `NOLOGIN` and nothing for roles with `LOGIN`. For other attributes
> `psql`
> show their positive forms.
>

> I suspect it is intentional that none (I think...) of the material in
> the SQL Commands section mentions psql.  I can see changing the psql
> page to note the absence of a positive form presentation for this
> particular attribute under the descriptions of the \du and \dg
> meta-commands.
>
> David J.

Tinkering a bit more: The `INHERIT` attribute is also not shown - only
the negative form. Therefore:

I assume now, that `psql` only show these attributes, which are not in
the default state as explained in the `CREATE ROLE` page.

Explaining that an showing the possibly shown values in the mentioned
sections of `psql` would be a good idea.

Andreas H.