Re: Does VACUUM FULL need ANALYZE ?

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Eoin O'Hehir <eoin(dot)ohehir(at)clavisinsight(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does VACUUM FULL need ANALYZE ?
Date: 2015-06-26 19:40:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Eoin O'Hehir <eoin(dot)ohehir(at)clavisinsight(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm setting up a weekly DB maintenance job for a 9.3 server.
>
> Part of this will be a VACUUM FULL.

That's something to seriously reconsider.

> Is there any point in adding the ANALYZE option to the command ?

That and a non-FULL VACUUM command after VACUUM FULL. Unlike what
you might expect based on the FULL option, a VACUUM FULL does not
do everything that a non-FULL VACUUM does, and actually drops any
existing visibility map and free space map -- potentially making
subsequent queries against the table slower until a normal VACUUM
(or autovacuum occurs). I strongly recommend that if you really do
need to use VACUUM FULL, you immediately follow it with VACUUM
ANALYZE.

You might also want to read this:

http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2014/03/vacuum-full-doesnt-mean-vacuum-but.html

--