Re: Proposal to Enable/Disable Index using ALTER INDEX

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Shayon Mukherjee <shayonj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to Enable/Disable Index using ALTER INDEX
Date: 2024-09-24 18:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.09.24 22:51, Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
> I am happy to draft a patch for this as well. I think I have a working
> idea so far of where the necessary checks might go. However if you don’t
> mind, can you elaborate further on how the effect would be similar to
> enable_indexscan?

Planner settings like enable_indexscan used to just add a large number
(disable_cost) to the estimated plan node costs. It's a bit more
sophisticated in PG17. But in any case, I imagine "disabling an index"
could use the same mechanism. Or maybe not, maybe the setting would
just completely ignore the index.