Re: postmaster startup time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Steve Oualline" <soualline(at)stbernard(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster startup time
Date: 2006-02-02 02:15:14
Lists: pgsql-general

"Steve Oualline" <soualline(at)stbernard(dot)com> writes:
> What's the longest time you'd expect between the execution of the=20
> postmaster command and being able to connec?

Normal startup is a second or two on any modern hardware. If you have
to recover from WAL, though, it could be very long. A rule of thumb is
that it shouldn't take longer than your inter-checkpoint time
(checkpoint_timeout) ... but that's only assuming that the most recent
checkpoint attempt before the crash succeeded. We've seen cases where
checkpoints were failing repeatedly (eg, because of out-of-space
condition on the main data partition) but the system kept merrily
spooling transactions into WAL. In a scenario like that, there could be
a whole lot of WAL to replay :-(