Re: set archive mode => on

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Sofer, Yuval" <Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: set archive mode => on
Date: 2014-08-04 14:44:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On 4 August 2014 14:46, Sofer, Yuval <Yuval_Sofer(at)bmc(dot)com> wrote:
>> Is there any way to turn archive mode to on, without restarting Postgres
>> database server?

> Sorry, not currently.
> But it is something we've wanted to add for some time.

The existing compromise on this is that archive_command is separate from
archive_mode, and archive_command *can* be changed on the fly. So you can
run with archive_mode on and set archive_command to a no-op (I think an
empty string might work, read the docs), if you think you might want to
activate archiving later without restarting.