Re: [HACKERS] Re: Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeroen van Vianen <jeroen(at)design(dot)nl>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Notation for nextval() (was Re: Several small patches)
Date: 1999-12-17 06:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeroen van Vianen <jeroen(at)design(dot)nl> writes:
>> What I was hoping for was something that would *first* determine whether
>> foo is a sequence and *then* do the transformation only if so.

> I thought about this, but couldn't figure out how to test for foo being a
> sequence.

IIRC, foo is a sequence if it has relkind 'S'. You can check the
relkind by looking into the struct returned by heap_open. The main
thing that needs to be thought about is how to ensure that the sequence
object won't be added to the query's rangetable list if it is used in
a way that looks like a table reference. It may be that hacking up
ParseFuncOrColumn will be enough to prevent that, or it may not...