Re: [HACKERS] migration to v6.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael J Schout <mschout(at)mail(dot)gkg-com(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] migration to v6.5
Date: 1999-07-15 19:09:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael J Schout <mschout(at)mail(dot)gkg-com(dot)com> writes:
> My question is this: If the PGresult struct contains a PGconn member,
> should there be an accessor function for it? Or is this member considered
> to be private? If so, I guess I will have to rewrite a large section of
> this application from scratch, but I thought I would check on the reasoning
> for the move of the conn member here first.

I had intended to remove that member entirely, but desisted in order to
grant some breathing room to people in your situation ;-). For the
moment you can access it if you include libpq-int.h in your application.

The reasoning for removing it is that a PGresult could outlive the
PGconn it was produced from, leaving you with a dangling pointer.

I would like to remove it eventually, but probably won't do so for
another version or two.