Re: pg_dump save command in output

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Joao Miguel Ferreira <joao(dot)miguel(dot)c(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump save command in output
Date: 2021-10-06 10:40:20
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 6 Oct 2021, at 12:22, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2021-10-06 at 10:44 +0100, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
>> I would like to try that yes, it would be a pleasure but I have zero knowledge on the dev tools, setups and processes required for that.
>>
>> If someone gives me some pointers I would love to try it. I'm a software developer so I should be able to at least try.
>>
>> Can you point me to some hands-on docs on setting up my env ?
>
> Here is an introductory article from the Wiki:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F

There is also the section in the docs for how to install a postgres instance
for source which will be handy:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation.html

For an environment to hack in I would recommend enabling debig and TAP style
tests, and personally I always install to a specific folder (see the section on
developer options):

./configure --enable-debug --enable-tap-tests --prefix=path/to/dev/install

Feel free to reach out here if you get stuck on anything, so we can make the
Wiki page better.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/