Re: Createlang plpgsql

From: Jeremy Sellors <jksellors(at)skyplex(dot)net>
To: Postgre SQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Createlang plpgsql
Date: 2005-11-22 04:12:07
Lists: pgsql-general

I see the problem now. On a shared host the createuser and createdb
are handled by cPanel scripts but not (as yet on my host) createlang.
The createlang utility only installs procedural languages included in
the default PostgreSQL distribution, which fortunately includes
plpgsql language I need.
If the language is added to template1 then all future databases—
including those of other shared users—would have the language
installed by default and this—probably for reasons that all the
languages are not installed by default—might not be desirable.
So what I need to solve the problem is a cPanel script to install the
required procedural languages or alternately—I have to ask the
support people to add any required languages when I create a new
database.
Unless I have not fully understood the problem then clearly this
issue will have to be solved in order to use all of the advanced
features of PostgreSQL to be available on shared servers.
Can the createlang utility be made available to an ordinary user just
to apply the lang to his database ?