Re: add server include files to default installation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date: 2004-05-15 16:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> I wish to submit a small patch so that server includes and
> all necessary configuration files could be installed *by default*.

There is a reason why install-all-headers is not the default. It is
that it shouldn't be the default: most people do not need it, because
they will never build any C extensions for themselves. It would just
be a waste of disk space for them.

If we did do such a thing it would have zero impact on the majority of
users anyway, because the RPM and other packagers will still put these
files into separate postgresql-devel packages, which would still not be
installed by default.