Foreign key indexes sometimes automatically named, sometimes not

From: Rob Richardson <interrobang(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Foreign key indexes sometimes automatically named, sometimes not
Date: 2018-10-05 13:05:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

Most of the time, when I create a foreign key, the covering index is automatically named and generated, and the table that gets the foreign key also gets an index with a name beginning with "fki".  But sometimes, when I try to save the FK, I get an error message asking me to supply a name for the covering index.  Why do I sometimes have to supply a name and sometimes not?  What can I do to ensure that the covering index is automatically named?
Thank you.
RobR