Re: pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs
Date: 2016-12-07 22:56:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As pointed out by Peter E, this also impacts CASTs. Attached is a patch
> which addresses both by simply also pulling any functions which are
> referenced from pg_cast or pg_transform when they have OIDs at or after
> FirstNormalObjectId. I also modified dumpCast() and dumpTransform() to
> complain loudly if they're unable to dump out the cast or transform due
> to not finding the function definition(s) necessary.

Please do not hack the already-overcomplicated query in getFuncs without
bothering to adjust the long comment that describes what it's doing.

I have a vague feeling that the code for dumping casts and/or transforms
may have some assumptions that the underlying function is also being
dumped. Although maybe the assumption was really only what's fixed here,
ie that there be a DumpableObject for the function. Anyway, take a close
look for that.

Looks reasonable otherwise.