Re: upgrade postgres 9.5 to 9.6

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade postgres 9.5 to 9.6
Date: 2021-01-15 15:35:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/15/21 9:17 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
[snip]
> Is there a reason you are upgrading to 9.6 and not 12 or 13?

The application software vendor might only certify the application on 9.6.
Or /management/, in their infinite "wisdom", might insist on a One-version
upgrade.
Or 9.6 might be the default version in the distro they're migrating to, and
Security Policy dictates that No Outside Software is allowed.  (Last year, I
watched in horror as a database was upgraded from 8.4 *to 9.2* for that very
reason.)

> 9.6 will be end-of-live this November (in 10 months), you will have to do another upgrade then.

You'd be shocked to see how much data is pumped through *old* Postgresql
databases.  "It works, so we're not going to fix it." And they don't want to
pony up for a new version of the application, and spend the money (manpower
and h/w resources) validating it.