Creating Superuser and password

From: "Vikram Patil" <vpatil(at)actuate(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating Superuser and password
Date: 2009-09-05 00:36:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Folks,

We are trying to integrate postgres with our product. Integrating
installation process with our installer, so for setting up password for
superuser there is an option in initdb to prompt a person who is
running initdb for password. Or other option is to provide password from
file. But this approach seems insecure as password has to be in clear in
the file. So is there any other way so that I can store password for
super user before starting up server through installer.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikram