Re: importing db as text files

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: importing db as text files
Date: 2003-08-14 07:50:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Two issues raised (other than my atrocious coding)

a) if defaults for a column are defined and copy is given a value of <> (implicit NULL) why not use the default ? [does an explicit \n work -- didn't try, I have to confess]

b) more generally, if copy finds a column that allows null and the data is a null (not explicitly defined as such, just no data) isn't that value valid, e.g. a NULL value ?

I kludged a simple way to make my data load, without really understanding why -- other than how "C" converts strings to integers ("atoi") -- a simple NULL can't be a NULL entry or at least a '0' if that is the default.

Not meant in ANY way as criticism, really, just trying to get a handle on this cool tool, and how it differs from ones I do know.

Apologies for any double postings I may have caused.

Greg W.