dbmirror -- recovery question

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: dbmirror -- recovery question
Date: 2003-08-10 21:52:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear peoples,

I'm setting up a database in postgres which will have light traffic writing to a few tables (and somewhat heavier traffic reading them). We'd like to mirror that databse using dbmirror to two others.

Let's assume that we're humming along and the master goes down. We switch traffic to read from one of the two slaves.

What happens if we feel a need to add information while the master is down ? Reconfigure that former slave to be a master and then manually reconcile the former master when it is available, perhaps ?

I didn't see anything in the documentation or in the postgres site about this (and I looked through the archives for references to dbmirror), so I apologize if I am issuing a faq.

Thanks,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC