Re: A Question about FPW and WAL

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Dawn Yu <boyyuxiao1987(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Question about FPW and WAL
Date: 2023-04-03 14:30:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Apr 3, 2023, at 5:38 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
>
>> By default, index full-page write is disabled. If the index is broken, you can
>> rebuild the index to solve it. Although the security of index data cannot be
>> guaranteed, this setting can greatly reduce the problem of storage space explosion
>> caused by wal write amplification.
>
> I would feel funny about a parameter like that.

I agree. To allow for indexes to become corrupt by design would be a bad idea. Rebuilding indexes is a not a solution as some index rebuilds takes hours on very large tables. Dealing with identifying corrupted indexes and the issues caused by them would be a nightmare to deal with and not very ACID compliant.