Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Pepe TD Vo <pepevo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
Date: 2020-06-16 15:11:03
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On 6/16/20 7:59 AM, Pepe TD Vo wrote:

Just noticed you cross posted to pgsql-admin listed. FYI, That is not a
good practice.

> I can run \copy in Linux with individual csv file into the table fine
> and run import using pgadmin into AWS instance. I am trying to run \copy
> all csv files import into its own table in Linux and in AWS instance. If
> all csv files into one table is fine but each csv for each table. Should
> I create one batch job for each imported table?  If each batch file
> import csv to its table would be fine via \copy table_name(col1, col2,
> ... coln) from '/path/tablename.csv' delimiter ',' csv header; right?

Yes, you will need to copy each file into its own table.

> Also, the problem is I can't pull/execute psql from window client to
> pull the psql in aws instance and don't know how to create the batch
> script for this run.  I tried simple \copy pull from c:\tes.csv and psql
> is unknown.

There is no good/easy way I know of to install just psql on Windows. You
are better off copying the CSV files to the AWS instance.

Do you have PuTTY installed?:

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

If not I would take a look at above link. PuTTY brings SSH to Windows.
The relevant part to this issue is:

https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.73/htmldoc/Chapter5.html#pscp

"PSCP, the PuTTY Secure Copy client, is a tool for transferring files
securely between computers using an SSH connection. "