Re: LOST REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jimmie H(dot) Apsey" <japsey(at)futuredental(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOST REFERENTIAL INTEGRITY
Date: 2004-10-04 23:11:28
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jimmie H. Apsey" <japsey(at)futuredental(dot)com> writes:
>> I'd recommend an upgrade to 7.4.5 at your earliest convenience.
>>
> I have kept up-to-date our Red Hat kernels as you can probably see from
> the Linux 2.4.9-e.49smp kernel. Am I required to maintain my own
> version of Postgres alongside and compiled into Red Hat's latest and
> greatest kernel? If that's true, WHEW!

Unfortunately I don't get to dictate Red Hat's backwards-compatibility
policies :-( ... and their policy for AS 2.1 is that it's gonna be
Postgres 7.1 till it dies. This means that anything that's
fundamentally unfixable without an initdb is going to remain broken.

> I wonder what version of
> Postgres is installed in Red Hat's latest kernel of AS 3.0?

RHEL3 uses the PG 7.3 release series, which is a little behind the times
but far less likely to eat your data than 7.1.