Re: grant select on all tables of schema or database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Tomi N/A <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grant select on all tables of schema or database
Date: 2006-12-13 16:28:06
Lists: pgsql-general

> I don't beleive you have to explicitly grant access to the database, or
> the schema, but you definitly have to grant access to the tables
> directly.

They're completely separate privileges. GRANT ON DATABASE grants or
revokes permissions associated with database-level operations, not
permissions on specific objects contained in the database. Likewise
for GRANT ON SCHEMA.

What the OP seems to be wishing for is a wild-card grant operation,
viz

GRANT ALL ON TABLE *.* TO joeblow

which would indeed be a useful thing to have, but it's *not* GRANT ON
DATABASE.