Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Hallstrom <philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?
Date: 2000-10-19 01:59:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Philip Hallstrom <philip(at)adhesivemedia(dot)com> writes:
> larger than the builtin limit for tuples. Is there anything I should be
> aware of before changing the below value and recompiling?

Only that it will force an initdb. Note the 32k limit, too.

A trick you can use in 7.0.* to squeeze out a little more space is
to declare your large text fields as "lztext" --- this invokes
inline compression, which might get you a factor of 2 or so on typical
mail messages. lztext will go away again in 7.1, since TOAST supersedes
it, but for now it's a useful thing to know about.

> Also, it looks like the TOAST stuff would solve this (right/wrong?), but
> it's not going to be ready for 7.1 (right/wrong?)

Right, and wrong. It's been done for months...