Re: Small problem with special characters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small problem with special characters
Date: 2006-08-24 17:28:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> Hmm. Is there a way I can find out which encoding was specified with initdb?

pg_controldata will show you the locale settings that initdb saw. The
encoding assigned to template0 is what initdb deduced it should use
(unless you overrode it with the -E switch).

> I assume I cannot create a database that would not match (or be a true
> subset of) the encoding specified with initdb, right?

Uh, no, we don't enforce that ... there is a school of thought that
says we should, but the Japanese complain every time it comes up,
because they have to deal with multiple encodings and they don't
care all that much about locale settings. We probably won't be able
to fix this properly until we can support per-database (or preferably
even finer grain) locale settings.