Re: Killing active users

From: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Killing active users
Date: 2008-08-15 17:44:18
Lists: pgsql-general

> The problem is that sometimes the rename fails because
> there are active
> users on the available DB... DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:
> database
> "maindb" is being accessed by other users .
> Because the reload takes
> place in the wee hours, I feel it's OK to kill any
> existing user
> connections in order to prevent this if I have to.

You could change ph_hba whilst you rename the databases.

I have a similar case here, where I restore a backup of our main servers onto a "restore" machine that can be used by the developers as a staging environment, but those developers can still be connected.

What I do is have a pg_hba.deny.conf and before I reload the database I rename pg_hba.conf to bg_hba.normal.conf, and pg_hba.deny.conf to pg_hba.conf and restart the server, do my work then put them back and restart the server again. Not sure but you could perhaps even do this with a reload rather than a restart.

Glyn