Profile what the production server is doing

From: Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de>
To: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Profile what the production server is doing
Date: 2018-07-23 11:18:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

Is there a tool which does this for PostgreSQL?

Take a "snapshot" of what the server is doing about 10 times per second.
Write this to a file.
After N hours you can aggregate the file.
What does the server do most of the time?
Which tables/index gets used the most.

Before optimizing a database, I would like to know what is going
on in the production system.

I know that there are internal tables like pg_stat_statements.
But I guess doing a snapshot every N millseconds will present a
better picture of what is going in in real life.

Is there already a tool which goes this way?

Or is there a better way?

Regards,
Thomas Güttler

--