Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Steven Pousty <steve(dot)pousty(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pierre Giraud <pierre(dot)giraud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poll: are people okay with function/operator table redesign?
Date: 2020-04-23 10:02:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-04-19 15:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> If somebody's got an idea how to obtain this painfully-agreed-to
> visual appearance from more robust markup, I'm all ears. This
> stuff is a bit outside my skill set, so I don't claim to have
> found the best possible implementation.

I've played with this a bit, and there are certainly a lot of
interesting things that you can do with CSS nowadays that would preserve
some semblance of semantic markup on both the DocBook side and the HTML
side. We haven't even considered what this new markup would do to
non-visual consumers.

But my conclusion is that this new direction is bad and the old way was
much better. My vote is to keep what we had in PG12.