Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment
Date: 2018-07-31 07:10:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Tom,

31.07.2018 01:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> I remain pretty skeptical that this is a sensible way to proceed,
> especially not if what you're testing is installed binary packages.
> You're creating yet *another* hazard for version-skew-like problems,
> namely that there's no certainty that you gave configure arguments
> that're compatible with what the installed packages used.
I believe that `installed_instance_path\bin\pg_config --configure` can
show the arguments, which can be used to perform ./configure and then
make installcheck for binary packages.
I understand that it should be done on the same platform and with
exactly the same PG version, but I think it's the only right way to
check the binaries (to perform user-centric testing).

Best regards,
------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company