Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MAINTAIN privilege -- what do we need to un-revert it?
Date: 2024-08-01 18:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2024-07-31 at 18:20 +0900, Yugo NAGATA wrote:
> I agree that it might not be important, but I think adding the flag
> would be
> also helpful for improving code-readability because it clarify the
> function
> is used in the two cases. I attached patch for this fix (patch 0003).

Committed with one minor modification: I moved the boolean flag to be
near the other booleans rather than at the end. Thank you.

> Sure. I fixed the patch to remove 'param' from both functions. (patch
> 0002)

Committed, thank you.

> I also add the small refactoring around ExecCreateTableAs(). (patch
> 0001)
>
> - Remove matview-related codes from intorel_startup.
>   Materialized views are no longer handled in this function.
>
> - RefreshMatViewByOid is moved to just after create_ctas_nodata
>   call to improve code readability.

I'm not sure the changes in intorel_startup() are correct. I tried
adding an Assert(into->viewQuery == NULL), and it fails because there's
another path I did not consider: "EXPLAIN ANALYZE CREATE MATERIALIZED
VIEW ...", which does not go through ExecCreateTableAs() but does go
through CreateIntoRelDestReceiver().

See:

https://postgr.es/m/20444c382e6cb5e21e93c94d679d0198b0dba4dd.camel@j-davis.com

Should we refactor a bit and try to make EXPLAIN use the same code
paths?

Regards,
Jeff Davis