Re: Backporting BackgroundPsql

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mikael Kjellström <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Backporting BackgroundPsql
Date: 2024-06-26 07:34:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26/06/2024 03:25, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 02:12:42AM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> FWIW I successfully used the preliminary PqFFI stuff Andrew posted to
>> write a test program for bug #18377, which I think ended up being better
>> than with BackgroundPsql, so I think it's a good way forward. As for
>> back-patching it, I suspect we're going to end up backpatching the
>> framework anyway just because we'll want to have it available for
>> backpatching future tests, even if we keep a backpatch minimal by doing
>> only the framework and not existing tests.
>>
>> I also backpatched the PqFFI and PostgreSQL::Session modules to older PG
>> branches, to run my test program there. This required only removing
>> some lines from PqFFI.pm that were about importing libpq functions that
>> older libpq didn't have.
>
> Nice! I definitely +1 the backpatching of the testing bits. This
> stuff can make validating bugs so much easier, particularly when there
> are conflicting parts in the backend after a cherry-pick.

I haven't looked closely at the new PgFFI stuff but +1 on that in
general, and it makes sense to backport that once it lands on master. In
the meanwhile, I think we should backport BackgroundPsql as it is, to
make it possible to backport tests using it right now, even if it is
short-lived.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)