Re: Avoid too prominent use of "backup" on pg_dump man page

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoid too prominent use of "backup" on pg_dump man page
Date: 2024-07-31 06:14:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 31.05.24 10:24, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-05-30 at 08:21 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> No objections to using export over backup, but it does make the use of
>> "restore" feel awkward as that's generally an operation on a backup and not an
>> export.
>>
>> -        least one schema/table in the backup file.
>> +        least one schema/table in the file to be restored.
>>
>> Would it make sense to use "import" in some cases instead?
>
> What about calling it "dump file" instead of "file to be restored"?

I forgot about this one for a bit. I committed it now as I had proposed
it. The pg_restore man page consistently talks about "restoring" a
file, so this change makes that more consistent. Introducing another
verb would require more changes to properly introduce and explain it,
which seems out of scope for this particular patch.