pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby

From: magodo <wztdyl(at)sina(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby
Date: 2018-10-08 07:23:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am using PostgreSQL-9.6, trying to do basebackup on a hot standby
with archive mode set to always. However, I found there is no backup
history file (*.backup) generated in the archive destination directory
after `pg_basebackup`, which is not the case if I do the same thing on
the primary.

Is this as expected? If so, in which case should I do backup on primary
and in which case should I do it on standby?

Thank you in advance!

Magodo