Re: pgsql: Restrict accesses to non-system views and foreign tables during

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Masahiko Sawada <msawada(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Restrict accesses to non-system views and foreign tables during
Date: 2024-08-26 14:14:09
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 05.08.24 15:07, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> To address this, pg_dump now utilizes the newly introduced
> restrict_nonsystem_relation_kind GUC parameter to restrict the
> accesses to non-system views and foreign tables during the dump
> process. This new GUC parameter is added to back branches too, but
> these changes do not require cluster recreation.

This documentation of this new parameter is a bit hard to understand.
The description in guc_tables.c is

"Sets relation kinds of non-system relation to restrict use"

which is hard to understand even knowing what this setting is supposed
to do.

In config.sgml it says

+ This variable specifies relation kind to which access is restricted.
+ It contains a comma-separated list of relation kind. Currently, the
+ supported relation kinds are <literal>view</literal> and
+ <literal>foreign-table</literal>.

This does not mention "system" or "non-system" at all.

Also, the phrase "to which access is restricted" can be interpreted in
two opposite ways:

- access to those relations is prohibited
- access is limited to those relations

Also nothing anywhere clarifies what "restricted" means here, and the
term introduces unnecessary ambiguity.

Can we come up with some more precise and easier-to-understand language?