Re: Dark mode styling for the website

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dago A Carralero <tocarralero(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dark mode styling for the website
Date: 2022-12-12 17:48:52
Lists: pgsql-www

On 11/4/22 6:52 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> Here's a patch that implements the manual switching and contrast changes.
>
> The light-mode-only issue for users without JS still needs to be
> resolved (if we actually care).

Thanks for pulling this together. A few comments:

1. Should we apply the lightened text to all font, not just the top nav
links? I do think it is easier to read.

2. There is an inline script that sets the toggle -- we should move that
into a JS file. We had move all of our inline scripts in JS files for
the CSPs.

3. Looking at examples of toggle buttons, the most icon common pattern is:

Light - sun
Dark - moon
(System - computer)

Additionally, it will display the icon of the mode you are currently in.
I'd suggest we currently follow that convention.

I may be able to take a crack at this later in the week + pending
consensus on the above.

Thanks,

Jonathan