Re: MySQL Blackhole Engine

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Deron <fecastle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL Blackhole Engine
Date: 2012-11-07 00:18:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Deron wrote:

> Yes, I can't really find a good use case for it. I am meeting with some of them in the next few days to find out exactly what they are using it for. If there is a legitimate use case for this, I will forward that information.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I will pass this information along as well if they really need the behavior.

From the docs, half a page down:

Inserts into a BLACKHOLE table do not store any data, but if the binary log is enabled, the SQL statements are logged (and replicated to slave servers). This can be useful as a repeater or filter mechanism. Suppose that your application requires slave-side filtering rules, but transferring all binary log data to the slave first results in too much traffic. In such a case, it is possible to set up on the master host a “dummy” slave process whose default storage engine is BLACKHOLE

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com