Re: BUG #1576: Function UPPER does not give back the awaited results

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: Sergio Luis Sánchez <sluis(at)tissat(dot)es>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1576: Function UPPER does not give back the awaited results
Date: 2005-04-03 17:10:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Bug reference: 1576
>Logged by: Sergio Luis Sánchez
>Email address: sluis(at)tissat(dot)es
>PostgreSQL version: 7.4.3 and 8.0.1
>Operating system: linux (7.4.3) and WinXP (8.0.1)
>awaited results
>Details:
>
>Hi.
>
>I'm from Spain, and I am using a PostgreSQL as database
>system. Sorry for my
>English.
>
>I launch a select with the upper function to retrieve a text in capital
>letters. When I launch the function to text with accents
>(Usual in Spanish
>language), I get the marked words in lowercase, and it's wrong.
>
>To test it I launh this query:
>
>select upper('aeiouáéíóúàèìòù');
>
>And the result was: "AEIOUáéíóúàèìòù", when it must be
>"AEIOUÁÉÍÓÚÀÈÌÒÙ".
>
>I try this function with UNICODE and LATIN1 encodings, and I
>retrieve same result.

It shouldn't work in UNICODE - see http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html#2.6.

It should work in LATIN1 though. I've never had any problems with that part (use it for swedish chars all the time). Make sure you really switched the server side encoding (new initdb), and not just the client side.

//Magnus