Re: getting back autonumber just inserted

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "lorid" <lorid(at)dri(dot)edu>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: getting back autonumber just inserted
Date: 2005-02-04 14:48:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I don't work with M$ DBs, but saw that "autonumber" is an M$ concept.
> Purely for my own edification, how do you get the most resent
> value of an autonumber in M$? I was helping someone out who
> was using M$ stuff and was amazed that there was no currval function.

I beleive they call it IDENTITY and not autonumber.
You get it using either
SELECT @@IDENTITY
or
SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY()

depending on if you want the very latest identity or the latest int he
current scope (if you have a trigger inserting records in a different
table, they will differ - @@IDENTITY will return from the table affected
by the trigger, SCOPE_IDENTITY() will return it for the table *you*
updated)

//Magnus