initdb initial password

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb initial password
Date: 2004-06-15 21:53:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would like to add capability to initdb to accept the password for the
superuser account at invocation. Right now, I can use --pwprompt or -W
to have it ask for a password. But for the win32 GUI installed I'd like
to ask for the password in the installer, and pass it to initdb.

Considering how it's done in different places, what's the preferred way
to do this? Commandline parameter? Environment variable? Other (what
would that be?)

//Magnus