Re: META: Filtering viruses/worms

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: META: Filtering viruses/worms
Date: 2004-03-04 14:46:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Since "amavisd" does not appear to be catching the latest worm, how
> > about filtering on size? Anything, say, over 20K will be held for
> > approval. Here are the top posts by size to this list recently:
>
> The problem is, where do we stop? Tom pop'd me off a note
> about it yesterday, and we drop'd it from 40k to 30k ... :(

A quick stop-gap is to block all ZIPs. We don't usually see a lot of ZIP
attachments on these lists, IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken, you run postfix on the server for the lists. The
something along:
/etc/postfix/main.cf:
mime_header_checks = pcre:/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks

/etc/postfix/mime_header_checks:
/name=[^>]*\.(zip|exe|com|vbs)/ REJECT Potentially dangerous file
attachment.

Remove initial spaces, of course. And add/remove any other extensions
you need.

//Magnus