How to create tables and copy records in blocks?

From: Chuck Roberts <croberts(at)gilsongraphics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to create tables and copy records in blocks?
Date: 2015-02-11 11:55:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Source db has Postgresql 8.4. I want to copy some tables and records to
Ubuntu 14.04 which has psql 9.3.

I need to create a test database, but I only need to copy some tables, with
some of the records to the test system. I thought there was a way to dump
the table layout as an SQL CREATE statement, then dump the records as
INSERT statements. I'd like to dump 1000 records from each table at a time
so as not to put a strain on the production server. So my job would run as
a cron job at night.

I've Googled a bit on this but can't seem to find anything on this. How
would I go about using SQL to do this? Is there another way to get blocks
of 1000 records to a brand new test db which will be a subset of our
prodution db?

Thank you.

*Chuck*