Re: Interface of the R-tree in order to work with postgresql

From: "J(dot) Andrew Rogers" <jrogers(at)neopolitan(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: jorge alberto <jorge(dot)is(dot)a(dot)geek(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interface of the R-tree in order to work with postgresql
Date: 2006-10-09 16:14:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:15:58AM -0500, jorge alberto wrote:
>> I want to know how can I add a new spatial access method into the
>> postgresql
>> (I'm doing research on spatial access methods( reading a lot of
>> papers and
>> programming a lot too ) but also I want to know how can I add my
>> new data
>> structure( if someday i get it, of course =) ) in the postgresql,
>> I mean
>> where can i find the .h that describes the interface that a
>> spatial access
>> method, like the R-tree, must have in order to work with postgresql.
>
> I would start by reading the documentation, specifically the part
> about
> "GiST". Once you have understood the concept and code there, go to
> reading the rtree code in the backend. That should answer almost all
> your questions.

Index Access Methods (Ch. 48) for a more general interface may also
be useful, since he implies that R-Tree is not the only spatial
access method he is interested in. While some spatial access
methods, such as R-Tree, are well-suited for a GiST implementation,
it is not a particularly appropriate access method (assumption
mismatch) for some other interesting spatial index types that a
researcher might be interested in implementing.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers (who is also implementing new spatial indexes...)
jrogers(at)neopolitan(dot)com