[Pljava-dev] pljava causes postgres to consume excessive memory

From: sdandapani at counterpane(dot)com (Sriram Dandapani)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] pljava causes postgres to consume excessive memory
Date: 2006-03-22 01:28:12
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi Thomas

When using pljava to issue jdbc commands, the memory consumed by
postgres is a lot more than when not using jdbc.

We use pljava with a jdbc connection to simulate autonomous transactions
of the kind that Oracle provides.

One of our application requirements is the insert of a large chunk of
data (this scenario happens occasionally but it is something we need to
take into account). When say inserting 4 million rows in a table with a
jdbc command that does a "insert into select * from"
The top command shows the insert command as a separate process that
consumes most of the memory and also a postmaster writer process that
also consumes a lot of memory

Whe I run the same insert from pgadmin, the memory usage seems to be
managed well by just the postmaster process and there is no separate
writer process that consumes memory.

Why does postgres/pljava behave this way.

Regards

Sriram