Re: 7.0RC2 compile error !

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.0RC2 compile error !
Date: 2000-05-05 16:28:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE> writes:

>> Fail completely?

> I'm not going to try to prove this now by uninstalling all my compilers
> but this is a known deficiency in autoconf.

Well, what it appears to be is autoconf espousing the same "fail hard"
philosophy that you were just claiming was a good thing ;-). If you ask
it for AC_PROG_CXX and it can't find any working C++ compiler, it gives
up. I have just checked the behavior with no C++ compiler nor gcc in
the PATH, and our configure script will complete if you specify
--without-CXX, but not otherwise.

Definitely seems like a good idea to change to a default of --without-CXX
for 7.1. Is there anyone out there who wants to argue against it?