Re: Postgres 10 Beta1 - pg_upgrade fails on Windows 10

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 10 Beta1 - pg_upgrade fails on Windows 10
Date: 2017-05-26 21:30:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> Well Thomas is using pg_upgrade from a BigSQL 10beta1 install to upgrade
> from a 9.6 instance of unknown provenance. pg_upgrade is complaining
> that the 9.6 cluster has pgxml.dll whereas the 10beta1 cluster does not
> even though xml2 is installed on both clusters. The question is this a
> packaging oops on the part of BigSQL or something else?

Actually, looking closer, the error message seems not to be "file not
found":

>>> could not load library "$libdir/pgxml":
>>> ERROR: could not load library "d:/etc/postgres-10/pgsql/lib/postgresql/pgxml.dll": unknown error 126

If that's coming from port/dynloader/win32.c, as I think it must be
because the non-conformant-to-message-style-guidelines phrase "unknown
error" appears nowhere else in our tree, then that's an error code that
FormatMessage doesn't recognize. Anybody have a clue what it means?