Re: libpq: Process buffered SSL read bytes to support records >8kB on async API

From: Lars Kanis <lars(at)greiz-reinsdorf(dot)de>
To: Jacob Champion <jacob(dot)champion(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: Process buffered SSL read bytes to support records >8kB on async API
Date: 2024-09-11 19:08:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you Jacob for verifying this issue!

> Gory details of the packet sizes, if it's helpful:
> - max TLS record size is 12k, because it made the math easier
> - server sends DataRow of 32006 bytes, followed by DataRow of 806
> bytes, followed by CommandComplete/ReadyForQuery
> - so there are three TLS records on the wire containing
> 1) DataRow 1 fragment 1 (12k bytes)
> 2) DataRow 1 fragment 2 (12k bytes)
> 3) DataRow 1 fragment 3 (7430 bytes) + DataRow 2 (806 bytes)
> + CommandComplete + ReadyForQuery

How did you verify the issue on the server side - with YugabyteDB or
with a modified Postgres server? I'd like to verify the GSSAPI part and
I'm familiar with the Postgres server only.

> I agree that PQconsumeInput() needs to ensure that the transport
> buffers are all drained. But I'm not sure this is a complete solution;
> doesn't GSS have the same problem? And are there any other sites that
> need to make the same guarantee before returning?

Which other sites do you mean? The synchronous transfer already works,
since the select() is short-circuit in case of pending bytes: [1]

No problem; registered: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/50/5251/

--

Regards, Lars

[1]